Friday 7 February 2014

Tight Fits Hummingbirds and Midday at the Oasis

Ahhh another week of fun in the sun. We started the week with another hike. This one was a mash-up of two different hikes with an unexplored joiner. Our hike leader Jerry prefers "loops" when hiking rather than an in and out(don't say it), so he created a hike with an unknown section in the middle to complete the hike. The hike started  out on the Painted Canyon trail then switched to "Jerry's Trail". We had to climb a total of 5 ladders to get over dead waterfalls and boulders.

June make it look easy, notice the knee pads and the hat is on backwards so you Won't bash you head on an overhang......this bit of knowledge came too late for Dell as his brim blocked his view enough he didn't see a low overhang soon enough.
A look from the top of the ladder
Once we made it up the ladders the view from the top was great.
After the new part was completed we headed down hill towards the vehicles. When we were about a half mile away Jerry said anyone want to check out "Big Split Rock?" So all but three of the fifteen of us took off our packs and headed into Big Split Rock. The trail starts out about 15 feet wide but within 500 yards it's down to 5 feet. The further we went the tighter it got. Years ago Nick Newell once held his hands out in front of me to measure whether I would fit into an attic access. All I can say is where was he when I needed him.
At one point I yelled at Jerry "does it get tighter?" he replied "Why are you a little claustrophobic?" "Yes" I replied. "Are you afraid of the dark?" "No" I said then I heard "Then close your eyes and you'll be ok" my reply shouldn't be recorded here, those that know me can guess it.

Tuesday was dog sitting day as our friends went shopping and we looked after the dogs. Anne's place backs right onto the desert at the Rv park boundary. She has several bird feeders and I got this hummingbird shot there.
 Fifteen feet away with a 500mm lens
The wind was back again for Wednesday so it was a rest day. I had twisted my left ankle at Sunday pickle ball and then again on the Monday hike so a down day was welcome.
Thursday had us hiking to "Anniversary Rock" in Palm Springs. This hike started out on the Lykken trail but soon took a left turn. We walked up a river bed in a canyon to an Oasis. The water bubbles up through the rocks then as the trail continues the water disappears for about a half mile then back it comes.
June has got this rock under control
At the upper Oasis the branches in the top left hand corner of the picture are from a fig tree.
From the Oasis back to the valley.
How do they grow on rocks?
When we got almost back to cars Jerry wanted to know if anyone wanted to climb to the top of Lykken Trail it would be about another hour. June and two others went up the hill with Jerry and I rested my bum ankle. The view from the top was spectacular.
Looking down into Palm Springs from 1700 feet.
All in all it has been a good week. We have Pickle Ball coming up on Saturday hopefully the wind will die down.

Take Care
Junkel


1 comment:

  1. So are we having any fun yet? I see that you are getting to be very active and I'll bet it feels great!

    ReplyDelete